Friday, July 8, 2016

Notes from Haiti: #7

Driving through the streets of Port Au Prince en route to the airport there are so memories gained in such a short time, so many impactful experiences. Haiti is a hard place. The sidewalks are lined with people selling their wares, cooking food, hawking medicine, cosmetics, car parts, anything imaginable. Here is a place where the dichotomy between rich and poor is as stark as anywhere on earth. There are well stocked grocery stores, beautiful hotels, private school and nice neighborhoods in Haiti. They are all well-guarded to ensure the safety and comfort of those on the inside. Not far away, many more are living with barely enough to subsist. Families are living without shelter going without food for days at a time. Parents are left to wonder what they should do with their children.

One story will suffice. One woman that I visited with reported that she had six children.  I only saw four and asked her where the other two were. She responded that they were being taken care of wealthier people and that they were going to school. Over dinner I mentioned how nice it was of these people to do this to a person with Fonkoze. The person smiled at me and then said that it is very common for people of means to take children into their homes and then put them to work sending these young people to lower level schools. What would I do as a parent in that situation? Keep my child home while we struggle or at least make sure that they are in school? I don't have a good answer for the question. What I do know for certain is that if the mother continues her training through Fonkoze, knowing that the day will come in the not too distant future when she will be able to educate her own children.

All that said, I am leaving Haiti inspired and hopeful. If you want to see the power of the human spirit, Haiti is a remarkable place to visit. I see the NGO's at work staffed by remarkably talented and caring people. The dedication of all of the people of Fonkoze, from Father Joseph, to Nick (who accompanied us everywhere, often in the back of the pick-up truck), all the way to our driver to Bernic were truly inspirational. As Steve Werlin told me: "Unlike most things in life I have immediate gratification every day. I see the good we are doing and the changes that are impacting people's lives in real time."  

Let me conclude my blog on Haiti by telling you about a one more person. Her name is Linda Bouchard. Linda is Haitian born and has been blessed with a number of opportunities in life. She attended university in the United States. She and her husband have made a beautiful life together with their children and grandchild. She is one of the privileged of Haiti, yet she works tirelessly for Fonkoze. Linda exudes an enthusiasm for her work and a love for her people that are unparalleled. She tells us that she could not live there if she was not giving back and helping others. Emma and I felt blessed in getting to know her. She is an excellent ambassador for Fonkoze.

Like most of you, I have spent time this week reflecting about the death of Elie Wiesel.  I would like to believe that our visit to Haiti and the work that we did and will continue to do honor his memory in a small way. During my days in Haiti I often reflected on Wiesel's words:

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of beauty is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death."

I leave you with words of Elie Wiesel and the hope that some will take the time to look at the Fonkoze web site and support this very worthy organization. Your donations will help to create more classes, more business, more changed lives for Haiti's poorest. Consider it an act to counter the world's indifference to this very poor country.  


The attached video captured one of the most powerful moments of the trip. We were in a remote area of the plateau watching a business meeting where the members of the group learn business skills and work together for greater success. There was singing and prayer throughout the meeting. Since I could not speak with them directly I thought that I could teach them a song. They learned "shalom haverim". Here are the results and a bit of the spirit of the Haitian people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment